Our Past, Our Present, Our Future
1855 – 2005
On a cold December day in 1855, the village of Spencerville hosted its first agricultural fair. As the members of the fledgling community gathered on the south side of the Nation River, little did they know that they were beginning a fall tradition, which would span over a century and a half!
One hundred and fifty years young!
Today, the Spencerville Fair is a much-anticipated event, attended by over 25,000 people annually. As we approached our 150th Anniversary, the Spencerville Agricultural Society commemorated this occasion with a host of special events and activities. The 2005 edition of the Fair promised to be a most memorable one, as a community took the opportunity to celebrate its past achievements, while building on the dream of a bright future.
150th Anniversary Spencerville Fair Time Capsule
Sealed June 3rd, 2006
The 150th Anniversary Time Capsule was placed in the rafters of the Drummond Building to be opened in 2055 at the 200th Spencerville Fair.
Inside this time capsule, you will find the following items:
- Spencerville Fair 1855-2005 – Our Past, Our Present, Our Future , Marc Tessier, Henderson Printing, Brockville, Ont., 2005
- Canada 2005 – Our People, Our Events, Our Perspective , The Canadian Press, John Wiley & Sons Canada, Ltd., Mississauga, Ont., 2005
- Carved Out of the Wilderness: The Story of Spencerville , Catherine M. Fairbairn, gsic, Spencerville Mill Foundation, 2005.
- What’s Cookin’ at the Fair! , Spencerville Agricultural Society, 1997
- Photo Book, Our 150 th Fair
- The Prescott Journal, Vol.175, No.36-37-38-39 , St. Lawrence Printing, Prescott, Ont.
- Spencerville Fair Times (Supplement), The Prescott Journal, St. Lawrence Printing, Prescott, Ont.
- The Collection of Canada’s Stamps 2005, (Sealed), Canada Post
- 2005 Proof Silver Dollar, Royal Canadian Mint
- Uncirculated Set of 2005 Canadian Coins, (Sealed), Royal Canadian Mint
- Canadian Dollar Coin (Terry Fox), Royal Canadian Mint
- Canadian Twenty-five Cent Coin (Veterans), Royal Canadian Mint
- Canadian Five Cent Coin (Victory 1945-2005), Royal Canadian Mint
- Grenville County Map , March 2004
- Spencerville – A Walking Tour (Brochure)
- CD - Are You Ready, Blue Rodeo, Warner Music, 2005
- Ball Cap – Spencerville Fair 1855-2005 (Colour – Stone)
- T-Shirt - Spencerville Fair 1855-2005 (Colour – Black)
- Commemorative Pin - Spencerville Fair 1855-2005
- Prize Rosette – Spencerville Agricultural Society – Best Overall Quilt
- Prize Ribbons – Spencerville Agricultural Society – First, Second and Third Place
- Member Card (Reproduction) – Spencerville Agricultural Society - Est. 1854
- Prize Cards (Reproductions) – Spencerville Agricultural Society – First, Second and Third Place
- Segment of Ribbon used at the 150th Anniversary Official Opening Ceremony – Edwardsburgh Community Centre
- Seeds from Giant Pumpkin Stake 2005
- Sample of Rope woven by Graham Burchell at the 150 th Spencerville Fair
- Artwork by 2005 Little Miss, Millie Close-DeVries
- Letter from 2005 Little Sir, John Lawless
- Collection of Historical Photographs (Reproductions)
- 150th Anniversary Fair Documents
- 2005 SAS Financial Statement
- 2005 Fair Book
- 2005 Rack Card
- 2005 Pamphlet
- 2005 Midway Tickets – Robertson Amusements
- Invitation to Opening Ceremonies – Spencerville Mill
- Party of Honour Itinerary – Opening Ceremonies
- 150 th Anniversary Fund Package
- List of 150 th Anniversary Fund Contributors
- 2005 Appreciation Dinner Invitation
- A Horseshoe for Good Luck … and Good Weather